Sunday 13 April 2014

10 years of panoramic imaging

Ten years of doing anything nowadays is an achievement and I can hardly believe it myself. I started created spherical panoramic images (that's the kind where you can look all the way round as well as up and down, just like Google Streetview) during the August bank holiday weekend 1999 but it wasn't until the beginning of 2004 that the World Wide Panorama project started. Up to this point there had been other panoramic photography events on the Internet but these were organised in a more ad-hoc style. This project brought a structure detailing 4 time periods each years (the solstices and equinoxes) and a clearly defined theme for each event.

During this time I have submitted 62 panoramas across a wide range of themes. From Bridges to Decade and Culture to Gardens. But the one thing I have tried to stick to is to stay local, to the extent that two thirds of my panoramas have been shot within 12 miles from home (and quite a few not too much over this either). Here in Malvern I am spoilt for choice for locations. There is everything from old and historic to new and modern and the Malvern hills form a fantastic divide between the more populated Worcestershire from rural Herefordshire.

Another thing that the event has provided me with is a fantastic snap shot of my last 10 years, with each panoramic image bringing back memories. Some I shot by myself, others with the family, but I remember them all. The winter solstice events always has a theme of best of the year which has allowed me to show views from further afield like the Eden Project at night, a small red phonebox being used as a gallery and the bomb bay of a Vulcan bomber.

The World Wide Panorama project is something I enjoy doing and I look forward to each theme being announced. Now I'm looking forward to the next event the Summer solstice on the theme of Work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment